13 Nov Moving Tips / Moving Checklist
Posted at 21:18h in Tips and Tools
- Book your Space Capsule or Space at Hand storage unit.
- Order supplies.
- Book movers, if applicable.
- Make a floor plan of your new home and determine where your furniture should be placed.
- If possible, arrange to have any painting or maintenance work on your new home done prior to your move.
- Consider having carpets or drapes cleaned prior to your move and arrange to have them delivered to your new address after your move.
Paperwork and Other Arrangements
- Keep all your paperwork for the move in one place.
- Make a list of friends, relatives and businesses you need to notify of your move. Prepare a change of address notice and email or mail it to them. Include:
- Ministry of Transportation for driver’s license and vehicle registration
- Banks, credit card issuers and other financial institutions
- Insurance companies
- Educational institutions and clubs
- Doctors, dentists and other health care providers
- Newspaper and magazine subscriptions
- File a change of address with Canada Post.
- Transfer prescriptions, if applicable.
- Order cheques with your new address.
- Check with your insurance company to make sure your belongings are covered during transit and storage. If not, arrange for additional insurance.
- Schedule the connection of utility services at your new home and disconnection of services at your old home including hydro, gas, water, sewage, cable, satellite, internet and telephone.
- Make child care arrangements for moving day.
- Sell, give or throw away items that you are not using.
- Drain gasoline and oil from power equipment.
- Take liquids and items that cannot be stored or thrown out in your regular garbage to a hazardous waste depot. (See the list of prohibited items in the Storage Tips.)
- Start depleting food supplies so you minimize what needs to be moved.
- Empty, defrost and clean your refrigerator and freezer at least 24 hours before moving.
- Disconnect major appliances.
- Prepare to take with you, a box with valuable paperwork including:
- Medical records and prescriptions
- Legal and financial documents
- Birth certificates, passports and other government documents
- Insurance papers
- To load last or take with you in the car, pack a box with things you will need immediately, for example:
- Cell phone chargers
- Bathroom tissue and soap
- Alarm clock
- Your moving file
- Try to avoid sliding heavy items such as appliances across the floor. Use a furniture pad or small carpet to manoeuvre the item to a spot where it can be placed on a dolly or carried out by hand.
- Furniture is best carried by hand.
- Use dollies for appliances or boxes. Make sure these items are evenly loaded and secure before transporting them.
- Remove doors from doorways that are too narrow for moving furniture.
- Protect high traffic areas on the floors with flattened cartons or heavy paper taped into place.
- Know where you want items placed at your destination. Try to avoid placing boxes and other small items where you want to position larger pieces of furniture.
- If possible, use masking tape to mark each piece of furniture with its destination. Do not use masking tape on fine furniture finishes or leave it on any furniture for extended periods of time.
- Check to make sure everything is out of closets and cupboards and nothing is being left behind.
- Make note of your utility readings on the day of your move.